BBC TO WEBCAST ATHENS GAMES LIVE

The British Broadcasting Corp. is planning live Web
coverage of the Summer Olympics from Athens beginning
Aug. 13. "We will be maximizing our rights deal to
provide video coverage for U.K. broadband users,"
Aashish Chandarana, broadband project manager for BBC
Sports Interactive, told Wired news. In particular,
the BBC's sports Web site will feature a live video
simulcast from the Beeb's broadcasts. Chandarana
realizes his largest potential audience will be at
work. "When people go home, they're not going to watch
the Olympics on the Internet.  They're going to watch
it on TV," he said, according to Wired.

In the U.S., the Olympics rights holder NBC will not
stream the games live but will offer video highlights
on NBCOlympics.com. Evan Silverman, executive producer
for the Web site, said the General Electric (GE)
subsidiary is "taking a huge step forward in showing
competitive footage online for the first time."  He
said no video will be available until after NBC has
completed its telecast of the event.