-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marko Velikonja
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 1:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t-and-f: Mistreatment of Fans at Olympic Trials

I'll make the same point I did when this debate raged after the 2000
Trials (note that I didn't attend either one):

"Down in Front" is not a term unique to track and field spectators.  I
don't attend many baseball, basketball or football games, so I can't
say for sure, but I'm sure spectators there would be annoyed by people
who stand the entire game.  I do recall a Women's World Cup match in
1999 where an obnoxious young man was standing in the front row, and it
didn't go over very well with the spectators behind him.

This seems like a matter of simple courtesy; if you're sitting toward
the front, you should realize you're blocking the view of those behind
you and refrain from standing unless you see the people behind you
doing so.  If you know you want to stand and cheer the whole time, get
a seat in the back row. Granted, at most track meets this really isn't
such a problem.  Perhaps its unfortunate this debate turns up only
every four years.

Marko Velikonja