OK, now Roger has made me curious too. Where did the triple jump come from?
Tom
On May 23, 2006, at 8:37 PM, Roger Ruth wrote:

Thanks to Ed, Travis, Drew, Tom, Wayne and Trey, and thanks again to those who responded off-list, for their very enlightening replies to my question "Why 1500m," asking why this distance was selected as the metric mile equivalent and what are today's usual measures in high school distance races.

I was reminded of a principal reason I have appreciated the t-and-f list over the years. I think it must be an important one for all of the 557 of us who have remained subscribers despite the decline in list activity: specifically, the usefulness of the list as a resource for answers to questions we may have about the sport we love. Google is a great resource, too, but a search for "1500 meters" returned 636,000 references; a search for "1500 meters origins" returned none. Presumably the answer to my question about why 1500 meters was chosen can be found among those 636,000 references, but even retired geezers like me have limits on how much time they can spend at the computer. How much easier, to send one letter to 557 knowledgeable people and get the answers I'm looking for in depth. Thanks again!