On 1 February 2010 02:10, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> Maybe your implementation of micro mapping lanes doesn't have anything to do
> with areas, but then, if so it probably doesn't work.  How do you represent
> gore areas which have highly variable widths as anything but areas?  If
> you've got a solution for it I'm all ears.

Think railway tracks...

Why do you need to represent road way area so accurately to show the
lane to be in to exit as depicted, I highly doubt that depiction used
area information to display the lanes etc, it would have been
estimations.

> Areas are also by far the easiest way to indicate both widths and
> connectivity.  In order to map

Areas are of limited value besides showing where the road base
occupies, and even then it won't be 100% accurate since we're not
doing raster mapping.

As for connectivity, highly doubtful, you can't indicate valid
direction that traffic can go.

> http://mytechnews.info/b/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nuvi-lane-assistance.jpg
> you need to represent the two lanes on the right and the three on the left
> as separate ways.  But you also need to show that it is possible to route
> between them (although with extra caution - i.e. a solid white line).

Again, think railway tracks... how do railway tracks merge and split?

>  Whether you want to call it a relation or an area I suppose is debatable,

I don't think using either is the best way to do it.

> but if you want to avoid a lot of complicated work you have to map the
> *sides* of the (sets of) lanes, not the *middle* of them.

Or using some kind of cascade method from ways so you can use the
existing way tags to flow down into lanes...