On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 April 2010 07:50, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Suggestions? As is, you can't use surface because that's only for
>> "roads/footpaths" (although strangely it's also used for
>
> Why does the surface tag have to be limited to roads/footpaths?

It doesn't have to be in future. It's just what the wiki says at the moment.

> landuse=sand might be suitable for a sand mine, but the term landuse
> to me indicates what it's being used for, not what covers the "ground"
> eg landuse=residential etc has no relation to the top soil

Good point. I assume you disagree with the use of landuse=grass, then?
(which is listed at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landuse)

>> leisure=pitch
>> + sport=volleyball (or beach_volleyball, I would suggest)
>> + surface=sand (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpitch)
>
> You are contradicting what you said earlier about surface...

Well, the wiki page for surface=* contradicts the wiki page for
leisure=pitch. I think the latter is better.

Anyway, the approach seems to be to 1) mark what the feature is, then
2) mark what the surface is, and if necessary 3) mark what the area is
used for. So for the bunker, golf_course_obstacle=bunker (or whatever)
+ surface=sand sounds fine to me.