It sounds to me like we're getting back to the old argument about the
difference between land-use and land-cover. Unfortunately, tags for
both have been lumped together into landuse=*, (as well as some
natural, man-made etc) which is why the debate reoccurs so often.

Sand is a cover, not a use.  So are grass, rocks, pavement, trees,
water, etc.  It's common for a single landuse (eg a park) to have many
different covers (eg some grass, some trees, a pond, a paved area,
etc).  It's also possible (though less common) for a single landcover
area to have different uses - eg a single patch of grass near me is a
park at one end and school grounds at the other, with no fence.  We
should be encouraging that any given area may have both a  use type
tag and a cover type tag.

My personal opinion is that we should separate out the cover tags from
landuse into some other tag (doesn't have to be landcover).  Not
because this is required, or it for easier searching, though they may
be side benefits.  Simply because having cover types in landuse
confuses things.

Stephen