At 2010-04-30 06:08, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
>On 30/04/2010 13:25, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I would go for "shop=fish".  In the US, no one would hear someome saying
> > they were going to the fish store and say "but they sell crustaceans and
> > they aren't technically fish".

+1

> > fishmonger works too, but most people in the US will not really know
> > what it means - but they'll guess close enough.

Fishmonger is only known in the US from reading classic literature. It is
not at all used.

>In the UK a "fish shop" can be one of two, usually mutually exclusive,
>things:
>
>* A fishmonger, selling wet (i.e. raw) fish and seafood
>* A Fish and Chip shop, selling cooked fast food
>
>So we'd need to distinguish between these in the UK at least.

They are distinguished. The latter is tagged (and documented):

amenity=fast_food
+ cuisine=fish_and_chips

>"Fishmonger" has a slight advantage in that it translates into French as
>Poissionerie, German as Fischhändler, Italian as Pescivendolo, and so on.

The only thing that might be close to a literal translation here is the
German one. All three contain "fish", though.

>Also, we have shop=butcher, not shop=meat.

Because butcher is the commonly-used English word, perhaps because there
are many more of them than places that sell only seafood.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>