2010/5/28 John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>:
> On 28 May 2010 11:57, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My point is not that we should necessarily even use population=*. My
>> point is that this proposal is redundant. There is no reason to use
>> place=* to indicate the population. IF you want to indicate the
>> population, use population=*. i.e. Tag what you mean.
>
> +1 I doubt you could ever standardise cities, especially not based on
> population alone.
>
> If it doesn't happen in the real world, why should it happen on maps?

+1

think about cultural/structural differences. It is obvious that city
classification depends on the context. If a city in Europe is
considered one of the biggest it will still be an average city in
China. I also agree with the others that say it is pointless to have 2
tags for the same thing (population),

There is a page in the wiki set up for a more extensive classification
of german cities and goes for a multiple tag-approach: the more info
you have, the better you can choose which of it to use. E.g. is there
an airport? Is there a university (how many students?), is it an
administrative centre, ...

look here for the german page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Anzeige_von_St%C3%A4dten

cheers,