On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't think we're reaching any consensus that key:paved is an idea
> to be positively recommended, so I think it's probably best to record
> it in the wiki as "some people do this".
>
> I think the wiki would also benefit from a few notes saying which
> values should be treated as paved (in the sense of drivable at speed),
> to encourage consistency of treatment by data users.

I agree with this summary. I found the arguments above convincing. (In
case anyone thinks these tagging  discussions never actually change
anyone's mind).

We would be performing a service if we document a standard set of
attributes for each tag at the wiki level. For surface=*, it looks
like the only attribute we've uncovered so far is that binary
distinction, but for other tags, maybe other things will emerge.

Steve