At 2010-07-28 01:49, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Alan Mintz
<alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> There are also fire hoses which are attached to building water supplies and
> fan-folded inside largish glass-front metal cases inset into walls.
> emergency=fire_hose maybe, though I'd like something that better indicates
> that it is attached to a water supply, not just a hose by itself.

Would this be a "fire department connection" with a hose attached?

No. They are designed to be used by civilians. They are much smaller and lower-volume than standard firefighter hoses. See http://www.femalifesafety.com/stand_pipe/stand_pipe.html . They are apparently called "standpipe fire hose stations".

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>