At 2010-09-07 17:51, =?UTF-8?Q?M=E2=88=A1rtin_Koppenhoefer?= wrote:
2010/9/8 Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>:
> At 2010-09-04 09:12, Erik Johansson wrote:

> I've taken a slightly different approach. I use landuse=residential to
> outline the entire related area. I then add that way to a relation with
> role=boundary. I add the various buildings, roads leading to and within,
> swimming pools, tennis courts, etc. to the relation. On the relation itself,
> I tag:
>
> type=site
> + site=housing
> + housing={house|apartment|condominium|mobile_home|public_housing}

that's fine, but adding simply the tag
housing={house|apartment|condominium|mobile_home|public_housing}
to the landuse=residential polygon would have a similar effect.

True - I wanted to be complete about it, though, so I described how I was doing it, since at the time I started (a year or two ago), there was no coverage of the subject in the wiki at all.

> : house is a single-family detached dwelling where the owner owns the land
> and the buildings on it
> : apartment is a multi-family dwelling where the tenants pay rent to the
> owner of the buildings and land
> : condominium is where the tenant "owns" the building (or part of one, as
> they are often attached like apartments), but not the land, and pays
> proportional rent and maintenance fees for the land and common areas.
> : mobile_home is similar to condominium, but using pre-fabricated housing
> instead of permanent structures
> : public_housing is generally apartments (though occasionally houses) that
> are owned by a government agency and occupied by low-income/disabled
> tenants.

Your system is a mixture of typology and ownership.

Intentionally. Sometimes, I don't believe it's necessary to completely dissect all of the possible features from every different angle - particularly when many of those features may not be discernable from a quick survey in person or by records. AFAIK, in the US, these are the types of housing available when one goes to look for a place to live - this is the way that they are commonly categorized by people both in the real estate business and not.

The owner situation might be quite dependent on cultur (even locally,
i.e. differing from one city to another). In Berlin for instance there
are traditionally many people in rented apartments, but you will also
quite often find mixed situations: owners and leasers door to door in
the same building.

This can happen in condominiums here, too. You can sometimes get approval to rent out your condo. I don't think it's likely to be something you can see from a survey, though. It's still going to look like a condo, and be one in most respects. I wasn't attempting to be completely rigorous in the descriptions - just to try to describe what the thing is for those that do not know.

There are also people that rent a detached house.

Sure. It's still a house, though. It's still owned by the person that owns the land, and that is not the government. Perhaps my descriptions should be broadened to exclude who lives there.

Actually this is a really wide field, there are endless singular
projects and exceptions, and there are huge cultural differences:...

Again, I think this is one of those times when we need to focus more on usability and common knowledge. I believe I have described the terminology that people commonly know and use. It's worked well for me in the 315 cases that I've mapped. I don't think it precludes creation of an extended tagging scheme if someone really wants to import or research the other information.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>