2010/9/28 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>:
> 2010/9/28 Simone Saviolo <simone.savi...@gmail.com>:
>> intersections [1]. It is just a road that happens to be circular in
>> shape, with semaphores or stops along it.
>
> who get's the right of way, when the traffic lights turn off (say due
> to a technical problem)? The traffic in the circle or the one coming
> from the right?

It's very easy. At intersections, when no other indication is present
(semaphores, give way signs, stop signs, signs on the road surface),
drivers must give way to the right. If the semaphore is off and there
is no vertical sign nor horizontal sign, then the right of way is to
the right. IF there was the roundabout sign (the one with the arrows),
THEN the right of way would be to vehicles coming from the left hand.
The example of the wiki is even clearer than that: there are stop
lines on the surface, that mean that vehicles in the circular road
must give way to the left and the right.

> Thing is that tagging them as junction=roundabout instead of simple
> oneways allows for better turning advice in routing (I know that we
> don't tag for routers, but in case the circle has the right of way
> without the semaphores, it would be a roundabout).

Sure. You're talking about a roundabout (signalled by the vertical
sign with the arrows) with semaphores on it. In Italy, the semaphore
takes precedence on vertical signs, so the sempahores would define
traffic flow when they're on; when they're off, the intersection
becomes a roundabout IF there's the sign, but I doubt that such an
intersection exists. If there's no sign, then the default (right of
way to the right) applies.

> cheers,
> Martin

Ciao,