> What I'm usually doing for such traffic circles is drawing a circle tagged
> "highway=*" + "oneway=yes" + a "note=this is not a roundabout".

If you leave it at that, a navigation program might not recognise it as a
{roundabout|traffic_circle} so instead of saying "at the next roundabout
take the second exit" it would produce confusing instructions. As you
enter the "roundabout" you pass a side road entering from the left - no
guidance here. Then you meet a side road leaving to your right...it might
say "keep left". Then you have to give way to a road coming from the right
- technically you could say that you are turning left onto that road so it
might say "turn left". Then you get to the exit you want and it might say
"keep right" or maybe "straight on" or maybe nothing. I am not an expert
in this so I might be wrong, but it only seems fair to give the navigation
system a hint so it can produce instructions that the driver would
recognise in the context of the road situation. How would a satnav
application behave if all the "junction=roundabout" tags were removed?
Even if it's a "priority to the right" roundabout, instructions like "at
the next roundabout take the second exit" would probably not give rise to
many complaints that "it's not a roundabout, why are you saying that it
is?" After all, satnav users are frequently reminded they should keep
their eyes open and obey the traffic rules, so no satnav will ever say
"give way" or "you have priority".