From the "better late than never" department:

I just discovered a description of how Inrix work with speeds to assist with predicted journey times.

Inrix are a leading supplier of this kind of information to organisations such as ITIS (in the UK) and TomTom, so I think they have probably thought it through...

http://euscorecard.inrix.com/scorecard_eu/UK/methodology.asp

In short they have a "reference speed" for each road segment, which represents the speed in the absence of traffic (capped to the legal maximum). Beyond that they build a database of average speeds for each hour of each day of the week, giving 1+7*24=169 values for each segment. They can then do some mathematical wizardry to produce statistics to show the effects of congestion.

The "reference speed" is definitely something that could have a place in OSM and as it is based on actual journey times it would surely be beneficial to routing decisions - better anyway than blindly taking the legal maximum speed or attempting to predict the driving speed based on attributes of the way in OSM.

If we could agree a tag for this it would at least give a place to put the "reference speed". Routers etc can then use this instead of maxspeed where it is available.

Colin