On 01/02/2011 12:11, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
To tag obelisks I suggest

man_made=obelisk

an alternative could be

historic=obelisk

but some obelisks are actually not old, so historic might not yet be
an appropriate tag for them. In combination with historic:civilization
and historic:period they could still be clearly distinguished.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk

example for a not so old Obelisk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Myanmar-Yangon-Independence_Monument_in_Mahabandoola_park.jpg

Are there any objections? Otherwise I'll set up a proposal.

As that Wikipedia article says, its just a particular style/shape of monument or memorial. So I think it would be best tagged as historic=monument or historic=memorial, plus a subtag for obelisk.
Maybe something like monument:style=obelisk ?

There's quite a few other monument/memorial styles that would be useful to tag, eg statue, fountain, spire etc.

Craig