2011/2/1 Craig Wallace <craig...@fastmail.fm>:
> As that Wikipedia article says, its just a particular style/shape of
> monument or memorial.
> So I think it would be best tagged as historic=monument or
> historic=memorial, plus a subtag for obelisk.
> Maybe something like monument:style=obelisk ?

This could be a way, but I am not yet convinced. Churches, temples and
towers are also monuments, but we don't tag them currently as subtypes
of monument. Indeed the tag historic=monument is very vague and
therefor not very useful IMHO.

> There's quite a few other monument/memorial styles that would be useful to
> tag, eg statue, fountain, spire etc.

Can you expand on the difference between memorial and monument? AFAIK
a monument states that an object is "monumental" = big, bigger then
human scale. Memorial is instead referring to a structure errected to
remind about someone/something. In OSM they are exclusive (you cannot
use both). I have the feeling that these 2 tags are broken by design,
but they are very useful, because beeing so generic you can use them
for lots of stuff ;-)

Maybe it would be better to use them as flags? Describe the features
with some tags, and add monument=yes (for monumental stuff) or
memorial=yes (for stuff to remind about something). It could also be
memorial=first_world_war (or memorial:topic=first_world_war)

cheers,
Martin