On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 23:22 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:

> Err, as I said, quibbles about aerodrome vs airport. Do we really want
> the ability to store aircraft to be the distinguishing feature between
> an airport and an aerodrome?

Its not so much about whether you can store aircraft, but that one is
basically for flight operations while another is a full-service flight
facility.

For example, a seaplane landing area or a hospital with a helipad could
have an aerodrome area around it, since aircraft dont use it as a base,
but can use it as a place to leave/enter the air.

> That wouldn't even solve the OP's issue, which was distinguishing
> between various levels of prominence for actual airports. Using
> English words with overlapping meanings (and worse, different
> connotations) just extends the confusion.

One easy way to split airports is into those with RPT services and those
with only GA services.  Most people not involved in aviation will only
care about RPT airports.  AFAIK, the use of RPT/GA is fairly universal
with a clearly defined meaning.

David