On 11/05/2011 05:27, Josh Doe wrote:
It's been about a month now, and I've gotten some feedback from the
talk page. My thoughts are that we either:

* reuse the existing place=suburb (as the wiki definition seems like
it might work)
* use the new place=neighbourhood

Either way I think we need to allow for admin_level or something
similar to permit nesting of neighborhoods. Any more feedback is
appreciated, particularly in regards to this latter point regarding
nesting.

-Josh

I would recommend maintaining clarity as to whether an admin_level is
*    official (as opposed to informal)
*    strictly hierarchical (as opposed to geographic/topographic areas)

For example, "London" in an informal sense will probably not correspond to the area governed by the "Greater London Authority" and will overlap with other local government areas. With "neighbourhoods" and "suburbs" which are frequently "informally" defined, the admin_level does not imply a particular position in a particular hierarchy, but would simply be a way of selecting boundaries of a given type. In this case the actual value doesn't matter so much, as long as it is unique. In the strict hierarchy of local government, the value does matter as an area of admin_level N will be contained within an area of admin_level (N-1). Of course there can also be parallel hierarchies, like police force areas and their districts and subdistricts, or postal systems with major towns, distribution points and individual postcodes (in the UK these frequently span national borders!).

Colin