2011/6/6 Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhau...@gmail.com>:
> I think it'd make sense to broaden the definition:
> "Sleeping and living quarters provided by an institution for (large numbers
> of) people associated with that institution.  For example, housing for
> university students."

in the case of a monastery it is not a quarter but a single building
or part of a building. Also "large numbers" is not correct for many
monasteries so I'd prefer to do without. Maybe for my case
building=dormitorium would be better suited then the ambiguous
"dormitory".

> Not sure if the "large numbers of" helps or hurts, thus the parentheses.

yes, I'd do without.

> This broader definition could also be used for other similar things, like
> military barracks.

Why? This would introduce another imprecision, I'd either use a very
generic "building=residential" or simply building=barracks for
military barracks (they are indeed a proper architectural typology)

> To take it a step further, something like "residence_hall" might be a better
> term than "dormitory", but since it's got hundreds of uses already, just
> changing the definition might be enough!

+1, for the student's living space residence_hall would have been a
better approach. Maybe we could still switch.

cheers,
Martin