On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM, fly <lowfligh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 15.07.2011 15:18, schrieb Craig Wallace:
> > On 15/07/2011 13:01, Zsolt Bertalan wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> This proposal is to replace the old Stamping Point proposal.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Hiking_checkpoint
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if the wording of the checkpoint type section is correct.
> >> Do you now about other validation methods? Also the tourism_movement tag
> >> now overlaps with the description tag. Please discuss!
> >
> > Some comments:
> > Having two ways of tagging the same thing (tourism=hiking_checkpoint or
> > hiking_checkpoint=yes) is confusing, and makes things more difficult for
> > editors or renderers etc. Better just to agree on a single tag.
> > I would suggest something like hiking=checkpoint, then it can be used on
> > a node on its own or on an amenity or tourism=attraction etc.
>
> In general I agree, but are checkpoints only used for hiking routes ?

No, I see it as a tourism feature. I don't want to introduce a new
namespace. The other tag (hiking_checkpoint=yes) is only needed in the rare
case if we already have a tourism tag.

> For tourism_movement, I think you mean the name of the hiking route?
> > In which case I would suggest tagging it as route:name or similar. So
> > there's no need to also have that in the description tag. Otherwise its
> > confusing as to whether that is the description of the route, or a
> > description of the individual checkpoint.
> > You could also add the checkpoint to the route relation. Then things
> > like the route website can be tagged on the relation, not individual
> > checkpoints.
>
> +1

No, tourism movement is not the same thing as a hiking route. Mostly they
have their own hikig route, but there are also smaller, regional movements
that use several different hiking routes. So no relations, that would be
really confusing. I agree, description is confusing. It's the same as the
movement but I used it for different languages. I think tourism_movement:en
is not valid or useful. Maybe I should emphasise that it is used for the
name of the movement in different language?.

Just connect it with the relation to the routes. Role could be
> checkpoint for appropriate route=* relations.
>
> I would use the description to give more information about the place
> where the checkpoint is located in the pub, church ...

I for one don't need that. It's just clutter. There is no problem asking
somebody if I found the building.

>  > For checkpoint type, I would suggest tagging it as 'checkpoint:type'.
> > The colon seems to be the standard separator for types of things. Also,
> > it should be 'electronic', not 'electric'.
>
> +1

OK, I fix these.

Cheers fly

regards