On 4/25/2012 3:39 AM, Pieren wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Nathan Edgars II<nerou...@gmail.com>  wrote:

It's not highway only. For example, it can be used on railway=platform:
or man_made=pier: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/71124853

Thanks for pointing that out. I see that silently, the meaning of the
tag area has been modified by certain people on the wiki. I modified
the wiki about "platform":
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform

We cannot accept that the tag "area=yes" is required for all polygons.
This has never been the case. It was introduced only when the main tag
about a closed loop was non-deterministic (tracing a centre line or a
perimeter). We don't do that for car parks, buildings, etc. I don't
see why we should create an exception for railway platforms.

Because a railway platform is usually drawn as a single line (as is a pier). Omitting area=yes gives a hole in the middle.