For the barrier=city_wall I in fact see way AND area as possible:
A mid-age city wall of a bigger city may have walls of several meters width sometimes, that include corridors, stairways and more, as another building would. If I map a strip of grass as an area with a width of 1m, a city wall with 5m width is an area, too - that's sometimes similar in size than a usual house.

I think, we should (!) introduce an area tag in the next API version, that allows the strict distinction between area and way by type, independent of tags.

regards
Peter