At 2012-05-08 07:02, Brad Neuhauser wrote:
But in the US the administrative municipality for an address may be different than the city that is used for mailing to that address, which is regulated by the US Post Office (and I think tied to zip code).

To get back to the original question, I believe the addr: tags should be used for mailing addresses. At least that's what seems to be their usage when the target of an import. Physical location can be determined by the surrounding boundary ways.

So, for:

N Somewhere Street
Foo
Bar
Code

I think you can use either:

addr:housenumber=N
addr:street=Somewhere Street
addr:city=Foo, Bar
addr:postcode=Code

or define and use an addr:baz tag where baz is the name of that type of subdivision:

addr:housenumber=N
addr:street=Somewhere Street
addr:baz=Foo
addr:city=Bar
addr:postcode=Code

I would only do the latter if this additional subdivision is regularly used in addresses.

In the US, we have a first-level subdivision in addr:state, addr:city is second-level, and there is no third-level specified in an address.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>