Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/5/23 Martin Vonwald <imagic....@gmail.com>:
> >> So I end up with 4 ways (highway, 2 sidewalks, cyclelane), one
> >> relation (area) and some nodes (lowered kerbs). Of course this is
> more
> >> complex, but you also get a whole lot more of detail,
> >
> > I see it the other way around: the increase in complexity does not
> > justify the increase in detail.
>

> I fail to understand this sentence. Did you mean it the other way
> round? (increase in detail does not justify the increasing
> complexity?)
>

> >> especially if
> >> there is more stuff to take into account (geometry not perfectly
> >> parallel, barriers which are (partially) between the sidewalk and
> the
> >> road, ability to map barriers on the sidewalk only, etc.
> > If one would allow to change the width of the xway-parts, you could
> > map geometry that is not perfectly parallel.
>

> what exactly are these xways? How would they end up in the database?
> Is it another osm-feature (besides ways, nodes, rels), or is it a way
> with special tags? How do they relate to current ways?

> >> why would you want to move a street that you have surveyed up to
> this
> >> level of detail? I think this is hypothetical (and btw: it is 6 in
> >> your example).
> >
> > Japan moved a few meters not so long ago.
>

> this won't be a problem and you know this: simply move the whole of
> Japan, as it is an island this is trivial (if the movement is the same
> everywhere).

Note that (a) Japan is an archipelago, not just a single island, and (b) in an
earthquake, different sections of land commonly shift relative to each other,
along fault lines.  Not everything moves in the same direction, or to the same
extent.  Sometimes, coastlines change as a given section of land is raised
above sea level, or dropped below sea level.

--
John F. Eldredge --  j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to