Hi,

On 26.07.2012 23:57, Alan Mintz wrote:
It is possible that the organisation publishing the ratings has some
sort of copyright or database right to them. For example I don't think
it will be legal to copy TripAdvisor ratings into OSM.

This may be an FAQ, but if a shop posts their awards in public view,
don't we have fair use to note it in our data, much like a photographer
has a right to photograph, or a news reporter has a right to report,
something in public view?

At least in Germany, a photographer may not photograph anything in public view and claim ownership; it is possible that photographing e.g. a work of art and then using that photo requires consent from the rights holder even though the object was in public view.

But that is a kind of arcane rule that I'd tend to ignore. If the hotel boasts its Michelin rating at the door then I think we can map it.

However, hotels that have their TripAdvisor rating displayed at the door are probably rare; and I think that lifting the rating off the TripAdvisor site is not acceptable.

Lastly, what about health-department grades, created and (usually)
published by public agencies - something I'd like to import and update
locally at least?

Don't do that. Keep them in a separate database and link to OSM objects. We don't want copies of third-party data in OSM, Remember, OSM is not a distribution system for third-party data.

Bye
Frederik