These are all good arguments but I think we should give more credit to
mappers. Sorry if I'm being boring but I will again come back to
OSMonitor reports that Polish community is now using for fixing roads -
since I started publishing the reports every day I am shocked by how
quickly people fix stuff based on these reports. Our Polish community is
quite small and still we are making impressive progress towards "all
green".

One thing I agree with is problem for the API/server-side. Though so far
I haven't seen a relation in Polish roads that cannot be downloaded
because it's too big, I know these things exist and that's a problem.

As for breaking relations by newcomers - we plan to have a regression
reporting as well so that once a road (relation) goes from green to
yellow or red then it will be reported to wiki/mailing list/whatever and
people can quickly fix it.

I'm not trying to shamelessly promote my tool - I'm just sharing my
thoughts and impressions after few short weeks and what I have seen the
community can do when they have two things:

1. A baseline simple agreement on how we map - in this case we said we
want to clean up relations for major roads in Poland.

2. Tool that will help with that - give up-to-date insight into data -
otherwise you cannot see what's going on. Also as a bonus the tool can
provide small motivations like coloring, statistics etc. - this really
works and we enjoy it.

Paweł