Hi Ole,

Am Donnerstag, 9. August 2012, 17:55:24 schrieb Ole Nielsen / osm:
> First of all I actually approved the proposal but later realized that
> having variable keys is less than ideal.

then *please* tell me the reason why you believe this is the case, because I
haven't seen any compelling counter-argument so far. What I have seen from
different people:
- allows for an almost infinite number of keys: existing tagging shows that
keys tend to cluster, e.g. maxspeed:(22:00-06:00) is in use 395 (!) times with
6 different values (putting this into perspective: meagre 4494 occurences of
maxspeed:backward). Those clustering effects become even stronger with
increased usage.
- kills PostgreSQL database performance: when you preprocess your routing data,
you have to do a linear scan over all tag hstores anyway.
- difficult because of special chars: the only situation where this actually
matters is when you search inside your editor – and in that case the ':'
already requires you to quote your key, at least in JOSM
- difficult to parse for computers: every programmer can tell you in a second
that this is plain wrong
- difficult to parse for humans: so far, everybody I talked to about this was
able to grasp the meaning of maxspeed:(22:00-06:00) = 100 in a split second
And – of course – my favourite:
- un-OSM-y, don't like it

Eckhart