2012/10/15 Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de>:
> I would choose (a) and reserve separate ways for _actual_ physical
> separation.
>
> One practical reason for doing so is that there would simply be no
> possibility to distinguish legally separate ways from physically
> separate ways if we used the same mapping (splitting the way) for both.
>
> Splitting the way at that point could be considered "tagging for the
> router", in my opinion, and ignores the needs of applications that do
> use OSM for something else than navigation.

+1 to all of this. If we want to be able to distinguish physical and
legal separations we have to stick to our own rules. Anyway there will
always remain a slightly unsatisfactory geometry situation on points
like these, because you have to do the transition from 1 way (in the
middle of 4 lanes) to 2 ways (each in the middle of 2 lanes). There is
simply no really elegant way to do this.

Additionally to the lanes=4 and oneway=yes you could put a divider-tag
on the way http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Divider
even if it doesn't explicitly tell you where the divider is placed you
might be able to infer it from the following ways (at least in this
case).

cheers,
Martin