I do see bakery (baked goods) and confectionery (candy, chocolates) and the
shops that sell them as very different so would never use the later for any
of the former. If I go to a telephone business book (yellow pages) or a
book section in a book store, I expect bakery and baking books to cover
breads, cakes, pastries, etc. Similarly if I use the business directory or
bookstore section for confectionery, I expect a chocolate or candy store or
books on chocolate or candy making. Here (Western US), i usually do not
first think of a bakery shop for bread, but instead as one selling cakes,
cookies, pastries, cupcakes, pies or a combination thereof and maybe
breads. We tend to call shops where mainly bread is sold, bread stores; but
I would still look under bakery in the business directory for one. Here
confectionery shops are more likely to sell something like nuts or dried
fruit with chocolates and/or candy than they are to sell pastries. The few
that do mix candy and pastries are also likely to offer cakes, cupcakes, or
cookies.

Rather than push for shop=pastry it makes more sense to change the text on
the wiki to expand what bakery  stands for (and remove pastries from the
description of the confectionery). If you want more detail then perhaps the
proposal should be: shop=bakery, cuisine=* where cuisine could be bread,
cakes, wedding cakes, cupcakes, cookies, pastries, pies, or a list if one
type is not predominant at the shop. This would nicely parallel
amenity=cafe; cuisine=cake for places where you consume the product within
the business (cafe) rather than take it from the business (shop). I suppose
the debate then could become amenity=fast_food; cuisine=cookie versus
shop=bakery; cuisine=cookie for the cookie counters in the shopping malls.
:-)

Murry