On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> You need to be able to distinguish between "this is not currently intended
> to be used" (for example, a locked gate) and "this is intended to be used,
> but needs repair" (for example, a jammed gate).

Exactly.
Exactly.

-------------------------------------
Life cycles have quite a few more stages than are yet codified in OSM
tags.  For example:

   1. Citizen concept (no landowner/government involvement yet)
   2. Proposed
   3. Planned
   4. Under construction
   5. Operating
   6. Broken (but expected to be fixed)
   7. Disused (not expected to be fixed).  Shades of this include
   abandoned, vacant, empty.
   8. Preserved (e.g. a stabilized ruin).
   9. Converted (e.g. historic:railway=funicular).
   10. Proposed for removal.
   11. Under demolition.
   12. Historic.

OSM supports multiple maps, so one can imagine a map that highlights
structures at risk (#6-#8).
We already have maps that highlight just what's gone (#12).
Paper mappers tend to get involved at step #2 or #3 for major projects and
hold on to them until step #10 or #11.

What I'm looking for now is a solution to Step #6, along with a definition
of HOW it is broken, and hopefully an operator= tag to show

I have read through:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Status