maxgross_weight: All vehicles have a registered upper limit on
their allowable mass (when fully loaded). This is often known
as the "Gross Weight", and it is found in the vehicle
documentation.

unfortunately it is more complicated because the amount of axis and
eventually the weight of trailers also have to be taken into account,
therefore I'd prefer to have a reference from the osm definition (where
it applies, e.g. European Union) to the legal documentation or copy
these settings from the relevant legal code. (sounds more complicated
than it is, I.e. s.th. like "gross weight rating as defined by the law
where applicable")

1) In Europe the number of axles only play a role for the *maximum*
possible gross weight for vehicles registration [in other words: the maximum "maximum permissible weight"].

If there is a signposted restriction to for example 5.5t gross, then it applies to all vehicles no matter how many axles they have. Thus the tagging is not affected.

Note: I know that in US there are weight limits depending on the number of axles, but this could be tagged (later or already?) by conditional tagging like maxgross_weight = X @ axles>3; Y @ axles>4...

2) Trailers: In fact the gross weight applies to trailer and main truck separately [as far as I know, since both are more or less legally treated as separate vehicles], thus if there is a limit of gross 3.5t, then the truck gross and the trailer gross must be below, but both together can exceed the limit [as far as I know this also applies to weight limits, e.g. at bridge with max 3.5t weight limit the trailer and the truck are evaluated separately, but I haven't cross checked this].

But does this affect the proposed tagging? We tag the rules (e.g. here is a gross weight limitation), but not how they have to be applied in a specific case (does this limit apply for trailer and truck separately or combined?).

As of the suggestion maxgross_weight
wouldn't it be better to use gross_maxweight?

Looks a little bit "engineered", since tags typically use the "natural language order" of words. But even I must confess that "maxgross_weight" looks also odd due to the '_' inconsistency.

Since I cannot foresee a meaning conflict by just using the abreviated maxgross, this could be an alternative.

martinq