On 26.09.2013 14:24, bredy wrote:

As I have been traveling to two of the "biggest" falls on globe, I am
interested in this discussion.

> Niagara Falls are tagged as area with tag waterway=waterfall + natural=cliff.

Well it is tagged as site. The American Fall is tagged as
waterway=waterfall as node in a way with natural=cliff plus an area with
waterway=waterfall and natural=cliff, the Horseshoe Fall is tagged as
node with waterway=waterfall and a way as cliff

The Victory Falls are tagged similar to the Horseshoe Fall and not
divided but should be.

> For me waterway=waterfall is better for node or segment of waterway. Or with
> key waterfall=yes
>
> And natural=waterfall is better for large river that use riverbank. Only for
> way or area. Render as cliff but blue.

+1

but they are called falls (natural=waterfalls ?).

I am not sure if we can judge the definition by only looking at these
big examples.

Think about kajaks and white water sports.

Major problem once more is documentation.

cheers
fly