Am 23.12.2013 11:56, schrieb Jonathan:
I am not qualified to answer any of these questions as I've never got
 involved in editing boundaries in OSM however it does raise an
interesting wider question, which is, how do we map all territories
that are claimed by one country or another but not internationally
recognised?

An example is the area of Abyei [1] which is disputed between Sudan and
South Sudan. This is tagged to belong to both countries. So the southern
border is part of the relation for Sudan and the northern one for South
Sudan. The standard rendering creates national borders around it [2].
This is not perfect but probably good enough.

Do we map what is on the ground, which seems to be the common
argument, or do we map what is widely recognised as the official
situation?

Personally I think tat following the on-the-ground rule in case of a
dispute we should map the de-facto border. But I know that this also
raises problems. For example I remember a posting some time ago about
this being problematic in India.

Michael (user Ohr)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyei
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/9.7267/28.4409