Hm I don't believe these people are reading our discussion. I'll try to
track down their usernames among the dozens of changesets and contact them.
Perhaps it would also be a good idea to involve the whole community of
these countries (by posting a short call to talk-ar, talk-no and talk-au),
both to avoid misunderstandings and to see if they find France's solution
appropriate to their situation.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 27.12.2013 02:46, Fernando Trebien wrote:
> > In principle, if Antarctic territories' status is said to be only
> > "claimed" (as described by the Antarctic Treaty), they can't be
> > considered "de facto", therefore they shouldn't currently be specified
> > as members of the boundary relations of Norway, Australia and Argentina
> > using an "outer" role (as they are right now), right?
>
> I find it strange that they are but obviously at least one person
> thought it would be a good idea or else they wouldn's. Is that person
> "in the loop" here, or are we discussing their mapping without them
> knowing?
>
> Having remote overseas bits and pieces included in a country relation
> makes some things difficult. The boundary of France seems to exist twice
> - once in a simple multipolygon-like boundary relation with one outer
> ring for the mainland and one for Corse, which is what one would more or
> less expect:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1403916
>
> and then there's another nice hierarchical construct which is more
> correct but likely less usable, which includes, through indirection, all
> the overseas bits and pieces that France has accumulated over the
> centuries:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2202162
>
> Maybe this could be the way to go for other countries too - have one
> relation that for most intents and purposes is "the boundary" but have
> another one that collects their various claims and overseas territories.
> There's also the case of some territories technically belonging to one
> country but on a 100-year lease to another country and where that other
> country's law applies and so on. I guess we must make room in OSM for
> those who want to model such details, without making things unusable for
> the majority.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frede...@remote.org  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)