+1 Smoothness is not necessarily more descriptive than tracktype, and
it may actually produce more disagreement if users skip reading what's
on the wiki.

However, I like that "smoothness" tries harder to cover more transit
types. As the table I posted a while ago shows, both provide more
detail on surface quality in different situations, with tracktype
providing more detail on unpaved ways and smoothness providing more
detail on paved ways.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2014/1/3 Pieren <pier...@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > but in the long run it's going to give us less precise
>> > maps.
>>
>> If you like precise maps, how can you recommend "smoothness" ? what is
>> precise between "smoothness=intermediate" (city bike) and
>> "smoothness=good" (racing bike) ?
>

> I agree those are not very good values, but how is that not better than
> tracktype? If we have a horribly rugged paved road, is that grade1 or
> grade3? What if we have a very smooth grass road in some posh golf club? If
> we went with the wiki, that should be grade5.
>
> The question is, what is smoothness? I think we should define it internally
> with a number of millimeters of the average hole in the road. That is just
> so we have internal consensus of what is good, bad, horrible etc.
>
> For the average mapper, I think the best solution is to have a picture of
> most surfaces and their corresponding smoothnesses. So a picture of
> excellent asphalt, a picture of good asphalt,... a picture of intermediate
> ground,... and a picture of horrible sand. And everything in between.
> Actually you don't need all combinations because some of them don't make
> sense. Those pictures would then show up in all editors when you search for
> the surface you need.
>
> Janko

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)