> In contrast, if the information that the road can be passed by off
> road vehicles is given by local people
> then it is probably very reliable. It is not interpretation, it is
> experience.

If these local people are somewhat responsible, their answer could only be:
"It depends".

As mentioned numerous times in this thread already, the '' trafficability"
depends a great deal on the exact specifications of your vehicle as well as
other, external factors.

As we can't have a tag for every vehicle (and yes, the exact height of the
air intake alone can make the difference),
and hopefully are also never trying to tag for every weather condition,
we simply CAN'T tag trafficability.

The only thing we can tag is physical properties of the road.

Anectotal evidence: while driving around Iceland in a Suzuki Jimny
(technically a 4x4),
I was "allowed" to use any road. Asking locals if I would be actually able
to take those roads always involved
a very critical look to my car, half an our of explanation about the
dangers of the road ahead,
an impromtu weather forecast an a final "Just try how far you can get."

I would never try to tag that half hour of prose into an OSM key.

Chaos