On 2014-01-17 11:07, Gerald Weber wrote :

I think that they generically belong to Proposed features/hazard  of which the article in the discussion is very eloquent regarding the wide scope or that tag.
I am surprised that this proposition is 6½ years old and that taggers have been tagging that much time without much concern with what it contains or can be extended to (and taggers, who seem more interested in adding new features than readjusting what was done, will probably rarely come back to add hazards).
In particular, I have started tagging speed limits and I was perfectly astounded that absolutely no 30 km/h limit tagged so far indicates school/children safety. 30 km/h limits are often of that kind  however and they are important to know as a child can burst from between two parked cars.
I have slightly amended hazard=school_zone, especially to cover a crossing in that zone.

What all proposed keys (trafficability, traffic_issue, roadnote, hazard) have in common is that we wish to alert people about something important about a given road.

But why only roads?

So why not a more generic tag to alert people about all sorts of problems?

For example a beach where your leg may become shark's breakfast if your are not careful:

natural=beach
alert=text
alert:text:en=Risk of shark attack
alert:severity=danger

Real-life example: Boa Viagem beach in Recife, Brazil.

here the idea of "alert=text" would be to make explicit that this particular alert is not yet covered by any established key-value.

For well defined alerts one could use pre-defined keys

alert=school_zone
alert:severity=hazard

The pre-defined keys could have implicit alert:severity levels, so for example alert=school_zone could implicitly be alert:severity=hazard which would require then only one tag

alert=school_zone

The use of the word "alert" would make the action clear to renderers and routers: they have to alert the user in some way.

I think that OSM should map hazards which are material and not alerts which are resulting messages.
The word is very well chosen and encompasses a very well defined category.
I don't think that this well designed proposition should wait more than 6½ years.
I've seen the blood of a friend in a gutter when I was 10 and I picked up a dead run over 10yo when I was 30.
I say that it's a shame to spend time in futile discussions postponing what is important.
Saving a few lives, casualties or any kind of accident is worth a few tags.
The official road signs are well thought out and cover the most important needs.
In this country anyway, they are quite logically called hazard signs.
There will be plenty of time afterwards to discuss if a given addition is justified.

Cheers,

André.