Hi Rob,
it's only a warning of josm. Read it as: "Hey, you made something which
may be an error. Are you sure it's what you wanted to do?" and if you
answer this question with yes, ignore it

On the other hand:
What's the benefit of having gritting routes in osm? are they stable?
Are they followed like bus routes, or changed according to weather
conditions and other parameters?

It may be my experience in mid-western Germany, away from any bigger
mountain, but here at most there are severity levels for particular
streets (which are first rank gritted, which are unimportant and so on).

If it's unstable or changing from year to year I would suggest not to
tag them at all.

regards
Peter