There is a definite need for a way to indicate a route that crosses an open
body of water like a lake. I came across this issue when mapping a "canoe
route" in Alaska recently. For such a route there are portions that are
footways, places where one carries the canoe from one lake to another,
these are called portages, and portions that go across the lake. Currently
there is no way to tag the waterway portions but one can create a relation
to handle them as part of a route.

The route is the Swan Lake Canoe Trails:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/60.6847/-150.6384

In the area shown the footway portions are clearly visible but the water
portion, which divides in Spruce Lake, is not visible. I did not tag those
waterway sections because I could not figure out how to do it short of
creating artificial "streams" through the lakes.

Clearly, something needs to be done about this. Also, I am unable to search
for this route in OSM. I'm not sure why that is but it's annoying.

Cheers,

Dave

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:12 AM, fly <lowfligh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 24.03.2014 22:11, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> > <mailto:lowfligh...@googlemail.com>>:
> >

> >     I would use a type=waterway relation for the canal.
> >

> > Seems good to me.
> >

> >     Yes, it won't but for proper routing you need to know the waterway
> signs
> >     and buoys.
> >

> > But even with waterway signs and buoys you need routes. You can't tag
> > maxdrought=* on a buoy.
>
> maxdraught is very special for waterways if not only for canals. In
> general maxheight, -width and waterdepth are the important factors.
>
> Right now your route (waterway) is quite long and some parts do not have
> the restrictions at all. That is why I prefer it on the ways.
>

> cu fly

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand