Hello,

i put up a proposal for specifying somewhat tighter limits on where to
place the transit between the coastline and the riverbank polygon at
the mouth of a river:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Coastline-River_transit_placement

Currently there are essentially no rules at all on this matter and it
appears to me this is not really helpful for mappers.  Cases of extreme
placement are rare but when they occur they often have a high impact
since they involve large scale features usually prominently shown in
maps.  The limits i drafted are fairly loose and should cover most
opinions on where the transit should best be placed in individual
cases.

I do this as a proposal since it at least formally affects the meaning
of an existing tag although practically there would only be very few
places where changes would need to be made to comply with it.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/