On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 03:44:17PM +0100, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i put up a proposal for specifying somewhat tighter limits on where to
> place the transit between the coastline and the riverbank polygon at
> the mouth of a river:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Coastline-River_transit_placement
>
> Currently there are essentially no rules at all on this matter and it
> appears to me this is not really helpful for mappers.  Cases of extreme
> placement are rare but when they occur they often have a high impact
> since they involve large scale features usually prominently shown in
> maps.  The limits i drafted are fairly loose and should cover most
> opinions on where the transit should best be placed in individual
> cases.

looks a bit complex and still doesn't mention some issues which might be
important as well:
* coastline is foremost a geographical shape, so whatever the reasoning
  the results should be so that the coastline looks intuitive
* this shape is used in special ways by some tools and renderers so we should
  keep an eye on that
* coastline should be somewhere in the brackish water separating freshwater
  and saltwater
* if part of the rationale is to determine whether some city is on the coast
  than that would typically be better defined by harbor or other properties.
  Any such application will require a more fine-grained approach anyway.
  Is there a harbor? Can I swim or surf there?

Richard