@Andy
"I have discovered a bunch of rivers and streams with layer=-1 in my
local area.  In my opinion this is simply wrong, so I am removing the
layer tag from the river and checking for objects which cross the
river (to tag them with layer=1."

I have done this a bit myself. I came across a river that was tagged with
layer=-3 the other day. I think the layer=1 tag for bridges is understood
to be a default by many mappers but I always include it.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Andrew Errington <erringt...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have discovered a bunch of rivers and streams with layer=-1 in my
> local area.  In my opinion this is simply wrong, so I am removing the
> layer tag from the river and checking for objects which cross the
> river (to tag them with layer=1.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew
>
> On 02/04/2014, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com> wrote:
> > The present situation is that rivers implicitly render below highways in
> > all common renderings.  That's not necessarily bad. With some formality
> > the layering arrangement, it sure would save a lot of tagging hassle and
> > maintenance.
> >
> > The new cloud tag for example, is clearly to be rendered after everything
> > but the celestial tags.
> >
> > Ahem.
> > April 1st aside: the number of important implicit assumptions is
> relatively
> > small.  Rivers under, power lines over, closed ways under except if
> they're
> > tagged building, etc.  Currently this type of layering is implicit in
> > various bits rendering software, but
> > it could be formalized at the tag definition level to help meet certain
> > mapper expectations.
> >
> > ---
> > In the case of the river/highway layer warning: if the warning had never
> > existed, chances are the various workaround schemes would never have come
> > up.  Rivers would run under roadways, and tagging would be needed only in
> > the rare case of a ford or an arroyo with no culvert.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand