> Definately, both :), which was my point. Adding layer in this case is just
> to satisfy some lawyer rather than useful "work".

not adding layer tags to objects crossing on different layers is incomplete
data. It can still be rendered "correctly" in most cases, i.e. the "simple"
ones, but this doesn't make the data complete. I agree it is often more a
formal requirement then a practical necessity to tag the bridge with
layer=1 (can be guessed correctly according to common sense for 99.9% of
the cases, agreed), while tagging the river for longer parts with layer=-1
will most probably lead to inconsistencies sooner or later, so I see it as
bad style (though not necessarily "wrong").

cheers,
Martin