W dniu 09.07.2014 14:01, Matthijs Melissen napisał(a):

I think it's best to think of it as a two step process: first propose
the tags that describe the reality (here), then propose how they
should be rendered (on the openstreetmap-carto Github).

Well, as I said: in my proposition I did _nothing new_ at all! The rendering hints are in the proposition's template. So the process part in the tagging dept is already well defined: "if you have some hints about rendering, say it here!". What we lack, however, is the part of the tagging interpretation process in the rendering dept.

Default tagging is clearly documented and community voted, but default rendering decisions are not even documented and are not even being talked-back. They "just happen" in the form of issue tickets and the code. So what I like to do is to store those decisions somewhere - and I think using already existing tagging dept documentation has additional profits for the project in the form of synchronizing both depts docs.

I will say it again, because I feel the fear of mixing everything: syncing docs is not about doing everything together! The tagging dept decisions may be completely different than rendering dept, but at least we can see (a) what are those decisions and (b) why the differ.

Both tagging and rendering discussions are already difficult enough as
they are - separation of concern simplifies the discussion (also, some
people are only interested in rendering and others only in tagging).

Of course they are somehow separate, but the bad thing is they don't ever communicate with each other.

If someone is not interested in the second dept, she can easily skip this section, but if someone else wants to know how both depts relate to each other, he has no clue - he can only look at the map and search through the carto tickets in the hope the subject was already discussed. The link for the proper ticket in the "Rendering" section would hurt no animal. The list of tagging-rendering decisions can help the carto team to have broader picture what is done, what should be, what will not be done, and what can-be-done-if-something-else-is-done-before.

I hope that sounds less scary. =}

--
Mambałaga