On 12.07.2014 09:59, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Most of these are from the Antarctica import [1] where they mostly
> comply with the definition quite well although in some part areas have
> a thin, patchy scree cover.
>
> The Corine natural=rock areas on the other hand are not
> natural=bare_rock, neither factually as you can easily check with a few
> examples nor by definition [2] where it is simply described as "Scree,
> cliffs, rocks outcrops, including active erosion, rocks and reef flats
> situated above the high-water mark".

I wouldn't have started this thread without checking a few examples. These
areas are predominant in high regions of the Alps, the Pyrenees and of
Corsica. They look "rocky" on areal images. The definition you cited
conforms with natural=bare_rock, except for scree, which is natural=scree.
Some of the areas could also be tagged as natural=fell. But at least
natural=bare_rock wouldn't be any wronger than natural=rock.

One difference between the Corine import and the Antartica import is that
the former was done before the tag natural=bare_rock was invented, while the
latter was done when it had already been approved. I suppose that the Corine
import would have created natural=bare_rock areas if that tag had been
around by that time.

> Based on this it would probably not be a good idea to mechanically
> re-tag these to natural=bare_rock but this is something that should be
> discussed at the appropriate place (i.e. in imports).  In my opinion
> these areas would need manual reviewing and fixing before any
> meaningful tags can be applied.  In many cases it might be easier to
> remap the area from scratch.

If these need remapping, it might be better to refine the definition first,
which is my primary goal anyway.