Should british english be preferred? Yes.
Do we need to change shop=jewelry to shop=jewellery? No.

Not remembering the spelling is not an issue when a tag is well-established.
If you try to add this tag in most editors, you will either use a preset or
will have auto-complete help you with the spelling.
That's not something that "will" happen, it's something that already
happens.

Jesse, as far as I know, AE is predominant in South America.