On Aug 14, 2014, at 8:02 AM, Richard Z. wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:48:35PM -0400, David K wrote:
>> I support a general tag for hill crests with sufficient vertical curvature
>> to introduce a visibility, grounding, or takeoff hazard.  It could be
>> applied to railroad crossings, humpy bridges, or just roads traversing
>> hilly terrain; all of these situations can be found in central Ohio.  Using
>> this tag on a node at the crest of the hill should be acceptable, as the
>> hazard may occur (potentially in multiple places) along fairly long way.
>
> any good name for such a tag? It should be also good for dips if possible..

If I recall correctly from the time, decades ago, when I worked a summer on a
survey crew, "vertical curve" was the term used for an area where the grade
(angle) of the roadway changed. That might be an American only term though. One
of the design criteria on a road is the "sight distance" which could be used
for the crest of a hill or a "humpy bridge" but would not be as good for a dip.

Tod