According to the wiki, the natural key is currently a mixture of different
aspects of something. The wiki states that it covers a selection of
"geological" and "landcover" features.

My suggestion is to keep only geological/geographical features in "natural"
(all three, point features like peak and spring as well as linear features
like natural=cliff or coastline and areas like
natural=fell/wetland/beach/heath/bay/scrub/...) and to move the landcover
features (those describing material rather than features, e.g. "mud" and
"sand") to a different key (my suggestion is "landcover" but there are also
mappers advocating "surface").

A more coherent scheme would have a lot of advantages (easier to learn and
understand because of more inherent logics, easier to maintain and extend
and would allow to elaborate on different aspects for the same area object
(i.e. will lead to more detailed data in the end)).

---

Additionally I have spotted that recently a user has decided to group the
features according to his interpretation:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Map_Features:natural&action=history

I believe that this new grouping is disputable and propose to revert this
change.
---

Please comment.

cheers,