> otherwise there would be useless overlap

It is similar to hotel vs motels. Once you see good hotel you will filter
out motels (hostels etc) from hotels. You don't want to classify motels.
You want good hotels.

> We should put the focus on defining criteria for distinguishing these two.

Ok, lets try:

leisure=playground (usually outdoor), kids_area (almost always indoor, esp
in Russia during winter)
leisure=playground (poor equipment, often vandal resistant), kids_area
(fragile or expensive equipment is not rare)
leisure=playground (almost never fee=yes), kids_area (it will cost you
directly fee=yes or indirectly fee=no via your prices
in restaurant/cafe/pub/stadium)
leisure=playground (provided by local municipality), kids_area often
provided by commercial company (malls, private kindergartens, hotels)

Trust me, there no overlap between:
"Детская площадка" (leisure=playground)
"Игровая зона для детей" (amenity=kids_area)

Just try to google these words and you will see real difference between two.