TLDR: consider fence_type=net

I think that these huge nets on poles are barriers, then fences and
then nets. So it fits well within barrier=fence.

from wiki osm [1]: A fence is a freestanding structure designed to
restrict or prevent movement across a boundary. It is generally
distinguished from a wall by the lightness of its construction.
[distinguished by the lightness i.e. lighter relative to a wall, not
light in absolute terms]
See also wikipedia with several examples of what a fence can be,
inclunding high wire fence. [2]

I see no reason to use barrier=net as it implies a net is not a fence.
So I think barrier=fence and then adding tags for type of fence and
height is more clear and could be used by renderers and data users.

barrier=net is indeed used (~500) and fence=net is logical but
consider fence_type=net.
I think you should just update the documentation and recommended usage
into fence_type=net (133).
Indeed fence_type is well documented [3] and in good use if you look
at other common types of fence.

taginfo
fence_type=net 133
fence_type=wire 5 000 >> fence=wire 57
fence_type=chain_link 14 000 >> fence=chain_link 12

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:barrier%3Dfence
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fence
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fence_type

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/fence_type=net 133